Sunday, December 25

The Spirit of Christmas

Do you remember when you were younger, Christmas and your birthday were the two greatest days of the year.  You could hardly sleep because you were thinking about the presents, delicious food, and fun that was going to come the next morning.  When the sun rose, you would jump out of bed and run into your parents room begging them to get up so you could open presents.  It was the most joyous, wonderful, marvelous time of year.  As you grow older, birthdays become less and less exciting and they often sneak up on you.  Christmas stays exciting, but becomes more and more important.  We more fully understand the true meaning of Christmas and significance of the birth of the Lord, Jesus Christ.  We recognize the importance of that sacred day when the Savior was born.

This Christmas has been a little different for me.  One of my pet-peeves has always been attitude changes during the holidays.  I LOVE the spirit of Christmas, but I don't like how that spirit dissipates when the season is over.  I wish the world were benevolent, loving, and joyful all year long - not just during December.  This year, as the holidays approached, I found myself frustrated with church lessons on the Spirit of Christmas and Thanksgiving.  I would scowl inside when comments were made that began, "especially this time of year..."  I was almost rebelling about feeling the spirit any differently during the holiday season.  If I didn't already have the spirit with me all year long, then why should I be privileged to have it now.  Instead of being grateful for the spirit that I had, indeed, been carrying with me all year long, I had been driving the spirit away.  I didn't realize until now, why this Christmas didn't feel like Christmas.

There is a reason the world seems brighter during the holidays.  We are brought back full circle to the purpose of life, and why we are here.  We are reminded of the Savior, Jesus Christ, who sacrificed his life for us so that we may live again.  We are reminded of his mercy, his love and kindness, and of our responsibility to treat others with that same kindness.  We are reminded of the humble circumstances through which he came, and are grateful for the conveniences and luxuries of our lives today.  Unfortunately, the world doesn't always remember the true spirit of Christmas. After the presents are opened and the parties end, many people go right back to their individual lives.  I wish the spirit of Christmas would last all year long.  But instead of feeling bitter about the world's lackadaisical attitude, I should be doing my part to keep the spirit of Christmas alive.  I should be reminding myself constantly of the blessings I have been so generously given.  I should be sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ and helping others to feel the spirit, just as I do.  I am truly grateful for the Savior, Jesus Christ.  He is my Lord, my redeemer, my brother.  He has provided me a way to return to our father in heaven.  He loves me with all his heart.  The Spirit of Christmas is the Spirit of Christ.  And it is my hope that I never again let the spirit of Christ(mas) dwindle within me, "...especially at this time of year."

No comments:

Post a Comment