Every day I become more amazed of the world around me. The seemingly pure and simple realms of nature are, in all actuality, intricate workings of a divine creator. A creator who's hands so meticulously placed every atom I come in contact with. I look at the technology around me - the incredible architectural feats and medical advances that society 10 years ago would have thought impossible. I think about travel. I can simply hop on a plane and go anywhere in the world; who would have thought I could fly! I think about my field, the plans I have and the places they may take me; the medical benefits I might be able to bring. I think about society, how confused we are as a whole. Life is one thing that truly is easier to understand than it may seem. We were all given life for one grand purpose, to prove ourselves worthy to return to his glory. To learn the lessons life has to offer, to struggle and to grow. If we see the big picture, it really isn't that complex. We were given guidelines to follow. Unlike the English language, there are no "i before e except after c"s. The rules are unambiguous. If we follow the guidelines, we will be able to handle all that life throws at us. We can't get caught up in the nitty gritty details. Notice them, appreciate them, stare in awe at them, remember them; then move on.
That is one of the largest struggles for society today, in my opinion. We fail to look at the BIG picture. We think about our job right now. Our school right now. Our money, our happiness. NOW. Our society is a selfish society. We think too much about personal gratification. Sure, we go on huge mission trips, send disaster relief, adopt and sponsor children from around the world; but why? Those are INCREDIBLE acts of charity, service, and love and I am not discounting them in any way. But do we overlook those in need right here? Our roommates, siblings, or classmates - do we notice when they really need a friend? My day is remarkably brighter when I get a smile as I pass a stranger on campus. Or when I get a message from a friend I haven't heard from in a while. Those little things turn my attitude 180 degrees. I am a happier, more pleasant person to be around. In turn I feel inclined to do the same; to share my joy with others.
So, I propose a challenge.
Tomorrow,
Say hi to 5 strangers as you walk by.
Ask your roommates how their days are; see if there is anything you can do for them.
Do a good deed - it can be something small. Windex the bathroom mirror, bake someone cookies, or write a little note.
Smile. It really is infectious.
See if it makes a difference :)
No comments:
Post a Comment