Saturday, February 27

Million dollar question

We've all been asked the classic question, "if you were stranded on an island and could only have one thing to survive, what would you have?"   Or perhaps, "if you knew you were going to die, what few things would you be sure to have with you?"  I never thought I would actually have to apply those answers, until a few hours ago.

4:30 a.m. I wake up to my RA telling me to get up and pack a bag, "be in the hale lounge and ready to evacuate at 6 a.m."  The hale is a fury, girls rushing around like crazy filling up water bottles, calling boyfriends and family members back on the mainland. The whole scene is a little surreal.  I think to myself, what do I pack? is it better to take another bottle of water or a change of clothes? Makeup..... yea or nay?  Should I bring movies to watch in case we have power and nothing to do?  Funny as it seems, these were very scary thoughts... Now for the million dollar question:
What do I bring?
1. Scriptures
2. Journal
3. Special box containing pictures, patriarchal blessing, and every birthday card and special letter any family member has ever given me
4. Extra t-shirt and pants
5. Toothbrush and toothpaste
6. Water and food; i.e. sandwiches and fruit
7. Laptop 
8. Phone and charger
9. CAMERA : )
OH!  and my animal bracelets that match with my sisters' : )

So a massive tsunami is headed for Hawaii. Waves have already hit Hilo; beyond that, no one can predict.  Currently we are sitting in our rooms reading The Rules and waiting for more news; sirens going off sporadically.  For now, we are okay.  I'll try and keep you posted : )

1:02 a.m.
Thanks to all the thoughts and prayers, nothing really happened.  There was a swell, but just a couple feet. Some might think we were over-exaggerating the severity of it all, but it could have been devastating.  There was no way to predict the outcome of the swell, and we were directly in its path.  But because of the many prayers and thoughts of families friends and loved ones, we were all saved with not so much as a scratch.

THANK YOU

and BECAUSE our lives and our community were saved, the show went on! Hip Hip HOORAY!  Final show of "The Music Man" was a success.  Sold out house, best performance yet : )
Trisha did a wonderful follow up post on the Tsunami and the fun events of the day as well as the Music Man closing night...

For some of the best quotes from the Music Man click HERE : )

1 comment: