Friday, December 10

I spy


Image from ECEn 191 lecture notes from class today

I spy with my little eye... 
my name! 
TWICE!
AND with the capitalization I use : ) 

You happen to be looking at a circuit board.
This circuit board in real life is probably 4" x 4.5", and only millimeters thick.
Those small rectangles with ALi on them are little things called integrated circuits. 
This small circuit board, but more specifically the integrated circuits, 
make up the entire computer.
That's it.
Monitors, keyboards, etc are just input/output devices to allow the user to interact with the computer. 
The circuit board stores all the information, runs all the programs, and makes the entire system function. 

The integrated circuit field is a very large field.
Their focus over the past 50 years or so has been making everything smaller.
iPods, laptops, cellphones, etc.
EVERYTHING is smaller and more compact because of 
the improvement of integrated circuits.

This is the field that has really caught my interest.
The research they are doing right now is SO cool
and I would LOVE to have the opportunity to work on it.
I find it ironic that my name is displayed on the product that I want to design and further improve : )

1 comment: